Thursday, February 28, 2008

TABLE MOUNTAIN!!

Finally the table mountain did not have a table cloth over it! We drove there and found a line that long that it wasn't fun anymore. We half and half already decided that we were going to climb the mountain- so now it was an easy decision! The mountain guard said that it was about an hour to the top. I wasn't too convinced, but well- we had our water and time, so no rush...
Here we just started- not knowing what a long way was waiting for us!

Here we are more or less at the beginning and we have to climb all the way in between the two mountains.

Prepared to climb! Here still on my shoes- which broke later on, so that I had to go down on my bare feet... I wasn't the only one doing that- but probably I was the only one who didn't do it out of free choice!
Somewhere half way. I don't have a lot of pictures becuase my batteries were empty, and of course I didn't have new batteries with me. Plus it was too exhausting to even think aboutt aking pictures! I think it was one of the heaviest hikes I've ever done and I have done quite some hikes. It wasn't so much that it was too steep- but it was definitely too hot! I was so happy with my bottle of water! We met three girls who were also climbing, even less experienced as we were (if possible!) and they hadn't brought any water and thought they were about to die. We shared our waters and made some friends for life!:)
We reached the top! Don't ask how we did it, but we did it! It was absolutely worth it! For once I mainly just looked around and enjoyed instead of taking a 100 pictures... Sorry for you! It was just too amazing. On top it really is flat and the view you have... Sjoe! THis picture is taken right down from the table mountain- you can see how blue the Atlantic Ocean is!
Here I really got the impression how great God our creator is and I had to think of psalm 139...

Here you can more or less follow the road we drove the day before, along the coast!
Together with Renke I climbed back down as well. We could have gone with the cable car (as Marloes did) but it was the challenge to climb up and climb down as well! It wasn't necessarily fun to do- but it was an achievement which I enjoyed very much! As already said- my shoe broke, so it was nicer to walk on my bare feet. It also made me hurry up because the rocks we were walking on were very hot!! I made it all the way down with only one huge blister on my big toe of which the mountain guard took gentle care!:)
From table mountain we drove straight to the airport, never felt so dirty on a plane!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

he Jolanda, dat ziet er allemaal fantastisch uit ik ga bijna zin krijgen om daar ook naar toe te gaan, maar ik vind het een beetje te ver van mijn bedje.
maar geniet er maar lekker van nu kan het nog.
maar probeer je blogs ook in het nederlands te schrijven dat vind ik makkelijker en je grootouders ook.ik hoor je nog wel een keer groetjes pa

Indigo said...

echt leuk dat jullie omhoog geklommen zijn! Dat lijkt me heel cool. Wij konden dat toen niet doen omdat Matilda nog een halve longontsteking had.. Maar gelukkig was de rij ook niet zo lang! Bovenop bevroren wij toen bijna brr..